Xisto Ilimitado Tinto Douro 2020
15.10€ (Inc. VAT bot. 75 cl.) / Spain
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The 2020 Xisto Ilimitado is a blend of 30% Touriga Franca, 20% Tinta Amarela and 20% Tinta Roriz, with Rufete, Tinta Barroca and others filling out the blend, all aged for 14 months in used French oak. It comes in at 13.2% alcohol. The Mono C and the Xisto Cru reds will not be made this year, so that juice went here. This was only in bottle a week when seen, but it seemed to show plenty of potential for the price category. Tight and fresh, this finishes with some tannic pop and flavor, a nice combination, but right now it is mostly tight. This will likely seem better at the end of the year or in the middle of 2023. It should be a nice bargain.
Xisto Ilimitado Tinto Douro is a field blend of 7 varieties: 30% Touriga Franca, 20% Tinta Amarela, 20% Tinta Roriz, 10% Rufete, 10% Tinta Barroca, 5% Malvasia Petra and 5% Donzelinho Tinto. These grapes come from sustainable vineyards planted between 1960 and 1980 on schist soil at an altitude of 400-600 m.
30% of the harvest is fermented in a stone press with foot treading, while the other 70% is made in tank, using 100% whole cluster. Maceration in the press lasts 8 days and in the tank for 25 days. Subsequently, it is racked into neutral toast barrels for 1 year, followed by 5 months in stainless steel tanks. The whole process is carried out with natural yeast fermentation, without cultivated yeasts.
Xisto Ilimitado has a bright garnet colour. On the nose, it offers aromas of red and blue fruits of high intensity, tinged with wet stone and violets. On the palate, it is exuberant, but with a bright acidity that balances the notes of red cherry and pomegranate. Aromas of white pepper, slate and herbs overlay the core fruit, culminating in a juicy, fresh finish. With an alcohol content of 13.0%, this wine is a perfect introduction to the new Douro, reflecting the purity of fruit that can be achieved in the Douro Valley.
Shipping to Peninsular Spain
Estimated transit time: 2-3 working days.